Sunday, April 29, 2007

Why yet another blog on the internet?

Why should there be yet another blog on the internet?

That's a tough question. The short answer is there is too much data on the internet and not enough information. I'd like to share some relevant information with others. I think God has given me some knowledge that is of value to others and that should be shared.

What's the difference between information and data? Information is data in context. For example, if I told you there are sunny skies somewhere, I would have given you a piece of data. Yes, there are sunny skies. If I told you the sky is sunny outside my window, you would have received information. The sunny skies are in the context of being outside my window. There are gigs and gigs of data on the internet. Enough that it can be difficult to quickly gather information.

Let's take this information concept one step further. If you were planning on coming to my house, knowing that it is sunny outside could lead you to leave your umbrella at home. Information that enables you to make a decision becomes knowledge. Just as there is too much data on the internet, how much information is there that could become knowledge for me and you?

Pretty lofty goals, huh? So what has God given me? We'll discuss that in time. For now, I'll just say I plan to write about music and sound; also my experiences becoming a Christian, a husband and father.

Thank you for stopping by. Please feel free to share your thoughts and feelings. We're all in this crazy world together.

-Eric.

No comments: